Federal Skilled Worker Program

Skilled workers abroad wishing to become permanent residents of Canada may be eligible to do so through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).

To be eligible, a foreign worker must have one year of continuous full-time (or equivalent part-time) work experience within the past ten (10) years. The work must be in a skilled professional occupation. A qualifying job offer with a Canadian employer can significantly improve the changes of selection under this category.

Applicants seeking permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) must first apply using the Canadian government’s Express Entry system.

Applications will be evaluated based on language skills, education, work experience, age, arranged employment, and adaptability. Applicants must meet minimum language thresholds, and must have Canadian education or a foreign education credential.

The Immigration Law Group at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP/s.r.l. has the expertise to assist and skilled workers considering this program with evaluating their eligibility, preparing comprehensive application packages, and addressing any potential complications.



Foreign Skilled Worker applicant – June 2008

“It is a blessing to be able to have someone who you can trust and feel comfortable with when dealing with issues like this. I know you went above and beyond what was needed to get this done and that was comforting the whole way through….  I am gonna send every one of my clients through you”.

– Rahim, USA



Express Entry: Top 5 Tips – Warren Creates and Jacqueline Bonisteel, February 2015



–          Appeals and Judicial Reviews

–          Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

–          Federal Skilled Trades Program

–          Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA)

–          Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

–          Working in Canada